performed by Rick Elias
written by Rich Mullins & Mitch McVicker
The season of Advent is upon us and even though today's song isn't technically Christmasy or wintery, it is very Adventy, especially as this first week is usually focused on hope and expectation. My Deliverer was written by Rich Mullins and Mitch McVicker and was intended for an album that Rich was working on based on the life of Christ. Tragically, Rich was killed in a car crash before it was finished but several of his musician friends got together and recorded The Jesus Album consisting of studio-produced versions of the Jesus demos that Rich had recorded in an abandoned church. I really like the version in this video but the winner of the giveaway will actually receive the version that was recorded on The Jesus Record by Rich Elias. The video is a live performance by Mitch, a talented artist in his own right who was also severely injured in the accident that killed Rich.
This song became special to me about 10 years ago when I was counselor at a summer camp in Wisconsin that my church's youth group attended. Each morning we were awakened by music playing over the loudspeakers and this was one of the first songs that would be played each day. Most of you know I am not a morning person, just the opposite really, but I loved walking from my cabin to the latrine or mess hall before most of the campers were up and quietly singing along.
How this giveaway works:
1. Post a comment below. One entry per person.
2. I'll use a random number generator to pick a winner.
3. If you already have the day's song but just feel like commenting because you love it so much, that's great! Just mention that you wish to be excluded from the giveaway. Or you can choose to use your entry to gift the song to someone else.
4. I will only be gifting songs legally and I'd prefer to do it through iTunes (with a few exceptions) so if you are the winner you will need to provide a valid email address.
5. The deadline for entry for each song will be noon the following day but be patient with me as I will not be able to get on iTunes from work.